The Hollings Scholarship Program provides successful undergraduate applicants with awards to support academic studies related to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) science, research, technology, policy, management, and education activities, that include academic assistance for full-time study during the 9-month academic year; a 10-week, full-time internship position during the summer at a NOAA facility. The internship between the first and second years of the award provides the scholars with hands-on, practical educational training experience in NOAA-related science, research, technology, policy, management, and education activities. Awards also include travel funds to attend a mandatory Hollings Scholarship Program orientation, conferences where students present a paper or poster, and a housing subsidy for scholars who do not reside at home during the summer internship.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen
- Majoring in biological, social and physical sciences; mathematics; engineering; computer and information sciences; and teacher education
- Full-time status as a college sophomore or junior at an accredited college or university within the United States or U.S. territories
- Apply as a sophomore in a four-year program or a junior in a five-year program.
- Up to $9500 per year for two years of full-time study
- 10-week, full-time internship positions ($700 per week) during the summer at a NOAA facility
- Housing subsidy for scholars who do not reside at home during the summer internship
- Travel funds to attend a mandatory NOAA Scholarship Program orientation
- Online application form
- Essay (1)
- Letter of recommendation - direct upload to the application
- Transcript (s) uploaded by the applicant
Applications open on September 1, 2023 through January 31, 2024
Advisor: V. Patteson Lombardi