For current sophomore and junior students who plan to be scientists, mathematicians, or engineers. Awards can cover the junior and senior years or just the senior year. Recipients receive up to $7,500 annually to help cover tuition, fees, books, and room and board. Maximum of 4 nominees per year (five if one applicant is a transfer student and six if one applicant is also a Veteran), per institution.
- Institutional endorsement required - applicants are not able to apply directly
- The University of Oregon can endorse four total candidates for the national competition. A fifth nominee may be forwarded if one of the four is a transfer student
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident (copy of Permanent Resident Card and letter of intent to become U.S. citizen, if nominee's citizenship status is permanent resident)
- Open to individuals majoring in Mathematics, Natural Sciences, or Engineering who intend to pursue a research career
- Students who plan on the MD-Ph.D. are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship only if they plan a research career rather than a career in medical practice.
- Current Sophomore or Junior
- Must be fully enrolled at the time of application
- Scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to maximum value set annually (approximately $7500 per academic year)
- Sophomore level scholarship (applied Junior and Senior year) recipients can expect to receive a maximum of two years of scholarship support
- Senior level scholarship (applied Senior year) recipients are eligible for a maximum of one year of scholarship support
You may preview the 2024 Goldwater application pages by clicking here.
- Description of Professional Aspirations (~500 words)
- Description of Research Experience (~250 words)
- Research Essay
- Information about research activities and awards, along with any papers/publications/conferences associated with work
- Transcript (s)
- Letter of recommendation (3) will be needed from nominees
- However, only ONE letter of recommendation, from the applicant's primary research faculty mentor, will be needed for the UO endorsement review consideration
UO Endorsement Submission Deadline: November 15, 2023 (5:00 pm PST)
External Deadline: January 26, 2024 (5:00 pm Central Time)
*Meeting with ODS Advising Team is REQUIRED for UO Endorsement
Advisor: Office of Distinguished Scholarship